Table of Contents
How I discovered that garlic helps with hair growth… the painful way
While the causes of hair loss can differ from person to person, it can have a significant impact on your appearance and confidence. I have tried many topical treatments for my thinning hair over the years.
In 2018 I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Hypothyroidism both of which are the main contributors to my Androgenetic Alopecia.
I started using Garlic on my scalp mainly to kill off the bacteria that was present in the lesions and scabs that had formed on my scalp. Here are some of the benefits I have found over time and with additional research and usage.
Here are some hair growth benefits from using garlic oil on your scalp:
- Garlic is a natural DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) blocker: Dihydrotestosterone is an endogenous androgen sex steroid and hormone. DHT is believed to be a contributor to androgenic hair loss, which is typical for those suffering from PCOS. As one of the places that can produce DHT is the hair follicle and the hormone then goes on to disrupt the hair cycle and causes the thinning and brittleness in hair.
- The garlic works to kill the bacteria on the scalp, as garlic contains antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties. It’s important to wash your hair and hairbrush regularly, removing dead skin and oily residue.
- I found it stimulated my hair growth and also reduced the thickening of the skin in certain areas where ‘scabs’ had formed. This can be attributed to the fact that garlic contains vitamins B-6 and C, manganese, and selenium they promote blood flow.
- Iron Absorption – iron is an essential component in an enzyme called ribonucleotide reductase that helps cell growth. Garlic helps with iron absorption, so I use garlic in my food every day as I have iron deficiency anaemia and this also affects my hair loss.
- It’s improved the hair fibre. The fibre of our hair is made up of keratin which is high in sulphur. The presence of sulphur in garlic helps the body create more keratin which in turn gives healthy hair its strength and elasticity.
Garlic Oil Recipe
To make the oil you will need:
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup or 60ml cup of coconut oil. (You can substitute with Avocado oil, Olive oil or any other carrier oil of your choice.)
- Mince the garlic and put it into a pan then add the coconut oil to it.
- Warm the oil, but do not fry the garlic.
- Take it off the stove and let it cool.
- Transfer to a small container with a lid and leave it overnight.
- If the coconut oil solidifies due to the cold, please don’t be alarmed it will melt as you apply it.
Apply the garlic-infused oil to the scalp, using your fingers to work it into your skin.
Keep it on for at least 30 minutes before washing it off.
Watch the video
No time to read?
Watch the video where I show you how to make garlic oil.